Unexpected Part 2


CONTINUED from Unexpected part one....

I pulled Carlisle aside and told him what I knew.  This was bad.  This was very bad.  We had a lot to deal with here, and obviously, we couldn't let this kid go home to tell the entire world and let him- and us- be destroyed by the Volturi.  I could tell instantly from Carlisle's thoughts that he didn't want to harm a young boy who had parents at home worrying about him though, either.

So now what? Do we face his destruction- or ours?

It was obvious that we were going to have a problem on our hands either way.  We needed to move quickly before we had a problem with all the boys.  Carlisle had the same thought right when I did.

"You boys can go."  He told them.

They started heading for the door as quickly as they could, with fleeting thoughts of Esme's lecture running through their heads.  The leader had bigger plans on his mind.

"You- stay."  Carlisle said firmly but kindly to the boy.  Panic ran through his mind as he looked to the others, but they were already through the door, and I had a grip on the back of the boy's shirt, although I wasn't sure he realized it yet, I had grabbed it so quickly.

Once we had him alone in the room, we assigned Rosalie and Esme to guard over him while the rest of us discussed our options.  We didn't have many.  We couldn't kill him, he was just a kid.  None of us were up for that.  We couldn't just let him run away, either, because then we would all end up dead, him included.  We probably couldn't trust him, and we couldn't convince him he was crazy, because just looking at us could make anyone who read those journals put two and two together.  Our winning idea was mine, ultimately, but I wasn't proud of it.  It stemmed from my past, and it made me feel horrible.  The others were a little more optimistic about it.  We were going to scare him into staying quiet.

The plan could be executed fairly easily.  We were all in agreement, so we put it into action right away.  As soon as we all got into the same room again, the boy spoke.  Eager to make sure he kept himself alive, it seemed.

"I know what you are, and if anything happens to me, everyone else is going to find out, too."  He said.  His voice shook with fear.  I laughed at him.

"You didn't tell anyone else about us, and you have no proof of what you THINK we are.  But nice try."  I told him, still laughing.

"That's what you think."  He said, trying not to look afraid.

"No, I can read your mind."  I told him,stepping closer. "Don't push me."

I heard his heart pick up in pace.  Emmett must have heard it too, because he chuckled behind me.  For the first time in a long time, Jasper wasn't letting out his soothing powers.

"You're lying."  The kid said.

"Let's find out."  I said.  He didn't respond, but I picked up on his thoughts.

"Right now you're thinking this is crazy.  And you're scared.  But please don't pee your pants this is a nice rug, the restroom is down the hall on the left."  I motioned the way with my hand.  He stared at me dumbstruck and blinked several times.  "And if you even think about that window again remind yourself that we can get outside faster than you can."

He walked quickly to the bathroom and locked the door behind him.

"That door won't help you much.  We expect you back out here in five minutes or we're coming in."  Emmett called.

He was back out in two and a half minutes.  We were all sitting around casually in the sofa seats and chairs when he got out, grinning widely enough to show our big, white teeth.  He got the message, and shuddered.

"Sit, relax."  Jasper hissed at him mockingly.  The kid quickly picked an empty spot and sat down.

"So here is how it is going to be." Emmett started.  We all sat and listened patiently.

"You- my friend- are going to keep your mouth shut.  We will know the second you even make up your mind to tell anyone- ANYONE- about who or WHAT you think we might be.  And we will be waiting for you.  You won't survive to tell your tale.  You can go now."  Carlisle's voice held none of the patience, understanding or kindness it usually bears.
The kid was out the door almost as fast as one of us could have been.

For the next week, we haunted him in his sleep.  Literally.  At a different time every night, one of us vampire boys silently sneaked into his bedroom and hovered over him, breathing on him until he realized we were there and woke up.  It was terrifying for him to realize we had such access to him, even in his own house.  Even when he'd scream, and his parents would come running down the hall, we were gone before they got there.  He realized over the course of the week that there was nothing he could do and no-one he could tell, no-one who could save him.

As hard as it was for me to scare some poor, defenseless boy, I knew it was for his protection, and ours.  I will try and take what I can from it, and move on.  For now, we are staying in Charleston, at least until it is safe to move.  We aren't sure what to do next.  Alice doesn't foresee any problems, but just like it started, things can change in the blink of an eye, a last minute decision.  We will keep our eyes open from now on.  We will hunt in smaller groups.  We will take more measures to protect ourselves and others.  That is all we can really do.  I just hope it isn't too late.


Photobucket