Cover


Well, as fun as Alaska is, vacations are only vacations, and Denali is not our home. We must move on. We have been considering our options, and it seems that we all agree that West Virginia seems like a nice area to venture into next. Charleston is a fairly small area, with a fairly small population, and nice lower suburbs. The nicest appeal for us, however, is the lack of sunshine there. Charleston is said to be sunny less than half of the year, which is a huge bonus for us.


More important than where we are going, however, is what we are going to say when we get there.  We aren't going to travel across the country and move into this city, declaring ourselves to be the seven members of the Cullen family.  That right there would throw people off and raise eyebrows.  As if we need anymore than our incredible looks and odd demeanor to do that.  We have spent a lot of time in the past few days deciding on our new "cover story."


The easiest cover story we could think of- with the help of Carmen and her endless compassion for others- was that Carlisle and Esme were foster parents for the rest of us.  This would help explain why they look so young, obviously too young to have a bunch of teenage children.  It would also explain why they have so many children and it would play up on Carlisle's humanitarian role as well as giving Esme something to do as far as the public were concerned.


Rosalie has been the biggest piece in our new cover story.  It has been very important to her to retain her human last name.  I am not sure why she wants to keep it after she just spent the last couple decades as a Cullen, but judging by the thoughts in her head, I understand why it is so important to her to keep it in general.  She feels it is important to retain anything and everything that ties her to her human life.  The name Hale helps her hold on to her identity, separates her and keeps her special.  It also helps her remember that she was human once, that she had something worth living for.  She was loved and loveable and able to bear a child.  Emmett is slightly bummed by the Hale thing, especially since traditionally he wants to have the same name as her, but like Emmett, he gets over it shortly after the feelings come up.


Since Jasper and Rosalie both look so similar, with the same color hair and tall, lean figures, we decided it would be smarter if they both went by the last name of Hale.  Emmet and I would be brothers and Alice would be the newest of the group.  We would all have our own timelines of when the Cullens (Carlisle and Esme) had adopted us, in case anyone asked.


The worst part of the entire thing was, of course, that we would all be attending high school again.  It would be my third time going through school, and everyone else's second not counting our human school experiences- whatever those might have been.  Alice isn't sure whether or not she even attended school in her human life.  


I hate school.  Don't get me wrong, the learning part I love.  However, there is nothing left for me to learn in high school.  I am bored there.  I cannot socialize, the students are beneath me.  Therefore, there is nothing to gain from going except to look normal, fit in, and be sure not to raise any eyebrows.


Ah, well, it is the 1960's and people tend to be experimenting with a lot of drugs these days, perhaps they will not notice so much if I do not fit in so well.  Humans can be so droll, they do things that destroy their very fragile lives, never stopping to realize the preciousness of what they have, or appreciate it.  Then they stop and marvel in the destruction they have caused- hating it, blaming it on others when it was their faults all along.  This is in fact a dreary time for the human race, war, hatred, drugs.  I hope it passes quickly for them.


Anyway, I am being a bore again.  The dark moods I get in seem to catch me off guard- always.  Alice says one day I will read these journals and laugh at the sadness and anger I felt, marvel at how I could have ever been so lonely and lost.  I wonder how she could know such a thing.  She is not sure, she just sees that I will be truly happy one day.  That is something to look forward to.  A day of peace.  I am sure my pen will be grateful indeed.

Photobucket