Sail into Danger pt 2



Continued....

"The leader, I just read his thoughts. And he is not planning on letting us leave peacefully."
"We should have no trouble if we leave immediately." Carlisle answered promptly.

We quickly headed towards our sailboat at the docks.  It took less than 5 minutes to get there, and we were sure the other vampires were not following us.  We were constantly checking behind us.  When we got to the boats, however, we saw something we were not expecting. "Barca Di Esme" had been burned to the very cinders of its core.  There was no hopes of returning to Chicago on that boat.

There was no possibility that the four vampires we had come across on the street of shops had been able to beat us here to do this.  The boat had been burning long enough to where it's flames had mostly extinguished themselves already.   We had a few ideas- either they had known about us right away, and burned our boat fresh upon our docking, or there were more of them.

As we were thinking this, five more vampires approached us.  Varying in gender and ethnicity, the only thing that seemed consistent about them was their fancy clothing.  It seemed almost as though someone had plucked people off the streets and created their own vampire army.  In fact, as I was thinking it, so were Carlisle, Jasper and Alice.  Jasper shot me a pointed look and thought- as if to say aloud- "do you see what they've done here?"  I understood perfectly what he meant by it.  Vampire armies- especially newborn ones- were extremely hazardous and considered against the rules.

The group of vampires approached us, their bright red eyes flashing in the growing moonlight.  One of them- a tall, thin woman with thick black hair and light pale skin with an olive undertone- spoke to Carlisle as he stepped out in front of the rest of us in a display that he was our leader.
"I believe you've seen your boat."
"I thought we were expected to leave?  What is the meaning of this?"  Carlisle asked.
His voice was cautious but firm.  His face was kind.  His thoughts were panicky but he was trying hard to maintain composure and not show weakness of any kind.  I was right there with him- we were vastly outnumbered.  These five plus those four, and who knows how many more there were elsewhere?

"Our message is clear.  You aren't welcome here.  You shouldn't have come.  Sorry."  She told Carlisle.  Her voice was cold, but her thoughts were much less so.  She was scared.  She had never faced another vampire before, and the color of our eyes scared her.  The other four vampires hadn't explained to her about different types of vampires, and our difference was unnerving to her.  She was worried we would be stronger.  She was also worried that the other four wouldn't come in time and that the numbers wouldn't be enough to save them- the fight wasn't matched up.  There were no more- it was seven against nine.  This was good news- if we struck now.

"Its seven against nine- where are the others?  Do our eyes bother you?  We are stronger than you- we have powers you don't.  You should be worried."  I told her, stepping forward to match Carlisle's level.
The female vampire didn't answer.  She pulled on a strand of her black hair, and ran through the possibilities in her head- should they attack now, or wait for the others?  Should she listen to orders, or abort the plan?  I took full advantage of this and used it to intimidate her further.
"Go ahead.  You can attack now- but we will win.  Even if you wait- we will win.  I can read your mind.  I know what think and what you will do in a fight before you do it.  She-" I pointed at Alice-"can see the future, which is equally handy.  He-" I waved towards Emmett-"has abnormal strength, even for a vampire.  There is more, if you want to hear it.   The point is that no matter what you choose to do, you will lose, despite the numbers on your side."  I smiled at her.

As if to show her my point, I reached out for the closest vampire to me.  It was a short, stocky male in his mid thirties.  He was slightly balding on the sides and looked like the type of businessman who sells vacuums door to door.  He tried to step to the side to avoid me, but I predicted his move, reading his thoughts, and swept him off his feet with a swift kick to the back of his legs.  He got up quickly while I stood there, watching.  He swung a quick punch towards my chest, but again I saw it coming and stepped to the side a split-second too soon.  He fell to the ground with a deafening thud.  Angry, he swung upwards and tried again, grabbing for my throat.  I let him get close to me, then grabbed him in a wrestler's headlock.  I held him there for a moment, letting him squirm, then when he had finally figured out that I would always know what he was going to do as he made the choice to do it, I let him go with a hard shove so that he went flying towards the other vampires.  No one else moved, not even to help him up when he landed by their feet.

The leading female looked from one of us to another.  Even though I had embellished about Emmett's strength, she didn't need to know that, and my ability to read minds and tales of powerful vampires had her worried.
"So you all have powers?  Is that why your eyes are golden?"  She asked, her voice wavering.
"Yes."  Carlisle lied, his voice strong.
She believed him without doubt.  Her plan to attack us was crumbling before her.  The others were wavering too, even without her orders, they weren't planning on attacking us.  She quickly ordered them to stand down.

Just when we started to relax a little, the other four vampires arrived.  Their posture was tense, and their message was clear.  They, at least, were not going to stand down.

TO BE CONTINUED... (again)

Photobucket