Quiet Worries


Sometimes when things are too quiet, it's bothersome.  Almost irritating.  I can't seem to shake the feeling that something is wrong, but Alice can't foresee any problems.  Carlisle tells me to let it go.  Esme and Jasper are their ever calm, peaceful selves in their own distinct ways.  Emmett is his typical self- joking and rough housing and taking it easy.  Not much upsets him, but if something does, he takes it down physically, not mentally.  Rosalie is too worried about staying on top of her classes to care about much else.  For some reason, she seems really into her college courses this semester, and Emmett followed suit willingly.  I think she is just bored, and it is too soon for another wedding.

It has been almost a year since my last entry in this journal.  It seems like almost yesterday, and yet I cannot believe it has been so long.  I suppose when you are a vampire, time passes quickly, and the days are much the same as the day before.  There is not much to write about.

After glancing over my last entry, I suppose I should catch up on recent events of the last year, although not much has changed.  After the Paris wedding, we spent a few months completely paranoid that we would be receiving a visit from the Volturi.  We never heard anything from anyone, least of all Aro, and were starting to calm down.

Then about six months ago, we received a package in the mail, addressed to Alice and I.  It was a set of black Volturi robes, one for each of us.  Accompanying these were two nicely written letters from Aro, Marcus and Caius together as a group.  The leaders of the Volturi.  The letters were the same.  They wanted to let us know the robes were a gift from them to us, and they wanted to extend an official invitation for us to join them as members of the Volturi.  The offer was good indefinitely.

We have not responded, nor did they respond back.  Aro sent Rosalie and Emmett a nice anniversary card in the mail, but nothing came with it for either Alice or myself.  I do not know whether to be relieved or worried.  It is driving me crazy.  I do not like being pursued in any form, particularly for something I do not agree with, and this feels like a game I cannot win.

Like I said before, Alice sees things in the future to be calm, and Carlisle thinks I am driving myself crazy for no reason.  Carlisle knows Aro better than any of the rest of us, as he spent some time with some fairly peaceful Italian vampires in the early 1700's, and has had a fairly decent relationship with Aro since then.  Of course, Aro- more so than Marcus and Caius- is quite personable when on good terms.  The other two are tolerable.

Alice says we will never be a part of the Volturi, which I should find comforting, but even that brings problems.  The Volturi does not like to be told no, nor do they like to be ignored.  I am worried that they will see this as a slap in the face.  I suppose I will do as Carlisle and the others suggest and just let it go for now.  Sometimes having access to people's thoughts truly is a curse.  I wish I had never seen Aro's thoughts.  Too late now, I suppose.

Other than that, everything else is normal.  Time is passing quickly.  Things are boring.  We are accelerating quickly through college, and it is starting to bore me.  We will be moving on from this town soon, as we have been here almost five years, and five years in one place for a vampire is too long.  We pushed our luck in Hoquiam.  We haven't decided where to go next, but when the semester ends we will definitely be packing up.  We won't be keeping our house here, though.  It isn't like our Forks house, where we felt at home the second we got there and never wanted to leave.  I hope Carlisle was right when he said we would return there one day.  I am eager to go back in a couple of decades or so.

I suppose I should end this for now.  I have been neglecting some things around the house.  I promised Esme I would play her song for her.  I have a paper due in Literature this week.  Jasper and I are supposed to go hunting.  So sitting around sulking isn't going to get me anywhere.  I guess I'll be back.

Photobucket