Saving Irina


Carlisle got a nightmarish call today.  It was from the Denali clan in Alaska.  From the sound of Kate's voice, I could tell before Carlisle was even off the phone that it was bad.  She was panicked and upset.  She sounded like she was crying, although I know that tears don't come out of vampire eyes.  I was worried before Carlisle had even hung up.  I couldn't read his thoughts, they were too jumbled from trying to respond to her mess of conversation.  Finally, he got off the phone and looked across the room at Esme and I.  The others had gone out hunting.

"That was Kate.  Something is wrong in Denali.  Irina had an accident."  He started.  I read it in his thoughts before he even finished telling Esme and I.  Although I was shocked and upset, I listened to his story so he could tell Esme what happened without my interference.

"She was hunting with Kate and Tanya this morning, out in the woods by their home.  They were goofing around with a pair of bears they had cornered, and I guess it had been a while since they last hunted.  Apparently, they let the bears get away with the intention of trapping them again for fun, and when they pursued the bears, they stumbled upon a girl who was on a hiking tour that wandered off and got separated.  The girl had fallen down and broken her ankle, and apparently scraped herself up pretty badly too.  Kate and Tanya were fine about it, they started to offer the girl some help, but Irina-" Carlisle's voice broke.  He took a moment's pause to pull himself together.

"Well, Irina has always been impulsive."  He said by way of explanation.  Esme seemed to understand.
"No!  She didn't hurt the girl?"  Esme asked.
"She bit her, but Kate and Tanya pulled her off.  They need me out there right away.  We were going to be leaving soon anyway, I think we should all go.  I will fly out right away, Esme you can come along.  Edward- you and the others can arrange for the movers to pack and move our things into storage for awhile, and then follow us up there?"
"Of course."  I answered.  That was easy.  We've moved so many times it would be like clockwork.
"Is the girl okay?"  Esme asked.  Always so compassionate.  I smiled at her warmth, it was why we all loved her so much.
"For now, but she lost a lot of blood.  The venom is burning her slowly, since it was a small bite, jagged.  We can't let her turn into a vampire, of course, and people will be searching for her soon, if they aren't already.  I told Kate to suck the venom out.  I think she is going to have Eleazer try, but they are scared.  I need to get there right away."  Carlisle answered.

They packed their bags quickly.  They were out the door and headed for the airport to purchase some last minute airline tickets before the others even returned from their hunting trip.  Alice knew what was going on before she even got home, of course.  They cut their trip short, but still didn't make it in time to say goodbye.

I was on the phone with moving companies when they got home.  Cost isn't an issue when you are orchestrating a move like ours, but privacy is.  Especially when you are doing it at the last minute, you need to have people willing to pack your things quickly, and without snooping.  I was able to call a few places and quickly get a team of movers out here to pack our belongings for us.  We supervised of course.  We put one of us in each room, to "help" speed things along, although really it was so that we knew what was going on and who was seeing what.  Usually we pack our things ourselves and have the movers transport them, but there isn't enough time this time.  Even still, half the house was packed before the moving team got here.

I arranged a large storage unit not far from our house to put everything in, and within twenty four hours, everything was packed and moved to the storage unit.  It is amazing what gets done quickly when you have the cash to spend on it.  We took our luggage and transported ourselves to the airport, without worries that our cars would be safe in the airport parking lot.  Just one more routine we were used to.

The flight to Alaska was long and boring.  It was stuffy on the plane, and being in tight quarters around a bunch of humans was uncomfortable.  I hadn't gotten to go hunting before hand like the others, and needed to badly.  It was unbearable, but I dealt with it.  When we finally landed, I was eager to get to Denali.  Carlisle would need an extra hand with the girl.  As we got to the house, it was obvious that they were waiting to welcome us, just like always.

They had the girl in a special room that they had changed around to make look as similar to a hospital room as possible.  Before we had even gotten there, Carlisle had gotten the venom out of her and casted her ankle. Now she was healing from the venom, and he wasn't quite sure how long that was going to take.  I guess for now we just wait.  Waiting is always the worst part.  So I suppose I better go hunt before I get even more thirsty, especially with an injured human in the house.  The smell of her blood doesn't help.  Be back later.

Photobucket