Plans Change



The three heavy knocks on the door caused us all to turn our heads quickly towards the sound. We all knew it was Jane on the other side. Even though she was small and seemed of little threat, we knew she was very dangerous.

We still weren't sure who had made her or how strong her powers were. We knew she was incredibly fast and could either read minds like me or had been told about me. She knew how to block her thoughts from me with blank ones of parks or oceans and such. Even worse, she had just changed her plan of attack against us to what seemed like the direct approach.

While this seemed easy- it was four vampires against one- we were in a crowded hotel full of innocent humans and had no idea what or how many powers she held. I suppose we were about to find out. On the bright side, I did still have my power, considering she didnt keep it blocked the whole time.

We opened the door and let Jane in. She flew in with such a flurry that we barely saw her as she raced past in unmatched speed and grabbed Emmett's neck from behind, ready to pull his head off- a surefire way to destroy a vampire so long as you burn the pieces later.

Her speed was incredible, but she had not accounted for Emmett's strength. While not the strength of a newborn, he was much stronger than she expected, and he grabbed her arm and twisted himself out of her hold faster that she seemed to expect. While she was taken by surprise, we were all able to surround her and pin her on the bed in a quick moment of solidarity.

Our hold on her did not last long, however, as we all suddenly dropped to the ground in piercing agony. Where the pain came from or why it hurt so badly I had no idea. I just wanted it to stop. Jane stood over us with a slight smile on her face, and after a moment the pain suddenly stopped. None of us moved from our crouched positions on the floor. We just stayed exactly where we were, waiting for it to start again, prepared.

"It hurts, doesn't it?" Jane asked in a gentle voice, more gentle than I had ever heard her speak before. In that moment I saw her differently than I had before. Although she was small- and young- she was a predator. She was fierce. Her eyes were angry.
"When I was created- or should I say, when my brother and I were taken from my mother and father, murdered and turned into these monsters that we are now- it took me a long time to realize these things I can do. Alec got separated from me and I have searched for him a long time. When I find him, Alec and I will seek revenge upon those who created us. And God help whoever stands in our way." Her words, although soft, shook with rage.
"I am sorry that happened to you. But there is a more peaceful way of life. A way to be happy. We can help you find your brother." Carlisle offered to her, his eyes reaching out to her with his usual kindness. I felt the compassion he felt for her coming through his thoughts.
"Pass." She said. Without another word, we all felt another shock of intense pain, dropping lower to the ground in our crouches, writhing as the jolts passed through our bodies.

Jane didn't let up with her odd power of causing pain on us, but for whatever reason, she made no further move to destroy us. She looked into our amber eyes- they eyes that she questioned the first time she noticed us. Then she casually strolled out of the room. The pain continued for another intense ten seconds or so- a long time for a vampire- and then suddenly stopped. We knew without looking for her that Jane was long gone. For whatever reason she had chosen to let us live. And no matter what the odds- four against one, one against four- she had us outnumbered.

Photobucket