The Hunt




What started out as a normal hunting trip didn't end like one. Everything was calm and peaceful. Exactly what I needed to get my mind off the accident. Jasper and I decided that along with the hunt we would actually enjoy camping for once. Two men (so to speak) roughing it in the woods. Living off the land. The perfect distraction and it had worked.


For two days we enjoyed hunting deer and even did some fishing. Not traditional fishing of course but it was fun playing in the water. Honestly fishing without a pole is really quiet difficult. Specially when the fish are completely frightened of you.


On our third night we decided it was time to pack up and head home but we would land one more deer before we left. Normally I'm not the betting type but I figured what the heck when Jasper bet me he would get a deer before I would. We set out on the hunt. All was quiet when I caught the scent of a deer. I immediately took off. Jasper was right on my heels. I was nearly to the deer when I caught a different scent. I stopped dead in my tracks. The smell was so wonderful it could only be human.


Jasper caught the scent as well. Before I knew it Jasper was off. While I'm faster, Jasper was closer and got to the human before I could. It was to late by the time I got there. Jasper had already bitten. I hated hearing his thoughts. He was so upset that he lost his control but at the same time the taste of human blood elated him. He craved this taste so frequently and actaully getting to feel the warmeth of the blood run down his throat was almost more then he could handle. There was no stopping him. He had drained the human within a minute. It was fast even for a vampire.


No sooner had he finished did the guilt set in. I helped him clean up the mess. We made it look like an animal attack. It looked like there was only one hiker so we felt this was the best way to camoflage a situation like this. The whole time we worked Jasper kept thinking he was weak and he had let Alice down. I felt sorry for him. I knew the struggle well.


Without a word we got into the car and headed back home. Jasper knew we would have to tell everyone what happened. Heaven knows Alice had probably already seen it. I just hope he can forgive himself.

Photobucket