Bad Feeling



Have you ever known something was wrong before it was? Today I had a bad feeling nagging at me all day, something I just couldn't shake off. Particularly after school.

I left the house with this feeling of dread, which is rare for a Friday. Normally us Cullens "rise" with a feeling of joy and gratitude on Fridays. We have the weekend to look forward to- the chance to be ourselves and relax, do whatever we want to do, whenever we want to do it. No chances of being exposed, looked at wrong, suspected of anything, or anything else.

So this morning I should have been feeling great. But instead I was heavy with this feeling like something was wrong, but no matter what I did, I couldn't figure it out. I had Alice on the lookout, but she didn't see anything going wrong with any of us, and nothing seemed to be going on with the Volturi as far as we were concerned.

I went through my school day like usual. Emmett and I had our usual morning class English together and we all sat together for lunch. I still had a bad feeling. After school, I went home and skipped hunting. Then it hit me- I had decided to avoid hunting that day because that Adam kid had asked out Jaymie and was planning to take her to my general hunting area to make out.

The bad feeling I was having seemed to double. I threw my jacket on and dashed out the door. I ran as fast as I could to the general area where I hunt, thinking of the spot he had planned on taking Jaymie. I wanted to make sure he wasn't pressuring her to do anything she wasn't comfortable with. She was a couple years younger than he was, after all.

When I got to the spot, they weren't there. I might have gotten there early, so I headed back along the road, thinking I would go check some of the local restaurants, tracking his thoughts until I found them and made sure she was alright. I wasn't as intuitive as Alice, but something told me Jaymie was in danger.

About three miles down the road, I saw Adam's car. Or should I say Adam's father's car. It was a red Buick LaSabre smashed around a tree. The tree was the only keeping the car from going off a small ledge and into a pond. The road was too secluded to have any type of barrier between the pond and the cars. The car was completely smashed into the tree on the passenger side, and the driver side door was wide open. My gut feeling of panic intensified.

Even from a mile away I could tell that Jaymie was trapped in the car and bleeding. Adam was nowhere in sight. How hurt Jaymie was, I had no idea- there seemed to be a decent amount of blood and I was trying hard not to smell it. Very hard. I ran full force to the car, whether she saw me or not, and slowed down right before I got to the back end. I peered carefully into the open driver's side door.

Jaymie was bleeding from her forehead and her nose. She was barely conscious and struggling to unbuckle her seatbelt with shaky fingers and blurred vision. Her thoughts were panicky and she was bouncing back and forth between thinking that she needed to get out of the car and being angry that Adam had left her. From her thoughts it seemed as though Adam had lost control of the car and taken off running out his driver side door as soon as he realized the car was damaged. Jaymie wasn't even sure if he checked to see if she was hurt before he ran.

I was furious. I was planning ways to kill the boy before I found him, of course, trying to talk myself out of it at the same time. I took one last deep breath of fresh air and held it, stuck my head into the car and unbuckled Jaymie's seat belt. I took hold of her as gently as I could and lifted her carefully out of the car. She looked at me, dazed, and wondered how I had gotten there and why I was helping her. I had never spoken a word to her in school before. I wouldn't start now.

I didn't smile, I didn't say hello, and I didn't explain myself. I carried her, at a human pace, back to my car. Then I drove her to Carlisle at the hospital. Carlisle looked at me like I was crazy for a moment when he first saw us. His thoughts were full of wonder- did I hurt her, why did I bring her to him? I explained quietly in the hallway that I didn't trust another doctor, and I didn't want her to wait in the ER to be seen. It would take too long. I felt guilty for walking instead of running as it was. He understood. I could have exposed myself by running.

I didn't tell him I needed Carlisle to keep me calm and distracted. I wanted to hunt Adam down and rip him limb by limb. Carlisle seemed to know me better than I expected of course, because he made a few phone calls while he was waiting on X-rays and lab results for Jaymie and had Alice and Jasper keeping me company in no time. We all sat in the waiting room, hoping Jaymie would be okay. I wished I knew her last name so I could call her parents, or let someone know where she was.

I knew I would deal with Adam later. There was no way this would go unpunished. You don't leave a girl to die, and expect nothing to come of it. Of course, Carlisle had an answer for that, too.


TO BE CONTINUED....

Photobucket